Luxury handbags have long been a classic sign of sophistication and wealth. They’re elevated over ordinary handbags by their combination of top quality materials and superior craftsmanship, which is why those who have the means and the taste to enjoy them choose them.
Even among luxury handbags, however, there are those that have become favorites, with a must-have status that has fueled their popularity over the years. Ten of the most desired are:
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull: Introduced in 2007, the Neverfull has become one of Louis Vuitton’s most successful bags. This larger tote-style bag is meant to carry all of your essentials, and it comes in three sizes: PM (small), MM (medium), and GM (large).
- Hermés Birkin: This bag was invented from the chance meeting of singer/actress Jane Birkin and Hermés CEO Jean-Louis Dumas on an Air France flight in 1983. When she complained that she couldn’t find a bag with enough pockets, he took notes, and thus the Birkin was born. These bags are known for being both popular with celebrities and very difficult to obtain.
- Hermés Kelly: Designed in the 1930s, this bag became popular from its association with Grace Kelly, the actress and princess of Monaco. Famously, she used the bag to conceal her growing pregnancy from the paparazzi in 1956. In 1977, the bag was officially rechristened in her name.
- Chanel 2.55: This luxury leather flap bag is the updated version of Coco Chanel’s original handbag introduced in 1929. It is called the 2.55 because of the date it was created—February 1955. The 2.55 includes many features of iconic Chanel style, such as the chain straps and quilted diamond pattern in the leather.
- Fendi Baguette: This compact handbag, which fits neatly under the arm like a loaf of French bread, is often credited with being the first “it” bag. Sarah Jessica Parker’s character on Sex and the City carried one, bringing it wider exposure and popularity.
- Lady Dior: Created in 1995, this classic Dior bag can be found in a variety of sizes (micro, mini/small, medium, and large) and colors. It was originally conceived as a gift to Princess Diana on her visit to Paris.
- Chloe Paddington: In 2005, all 8,000 of the Paddington bags produced for Chloe’s spring collection sold out before they even hit stores, turning the soft bag with its giant signature padlock into the bag to have.
- Gucci Jackie: Originally called the Fifties Constance, this hobo-style shoulder bag was renamed after Jackie Kennedy, who made it a hit when she was seen carrying it. A new, updated version was introduced in 2009.
- Yves Saint Laurent Sac de Jour: Created in 2013, this modern carryall-type bag became instantly popular with celebrities. It comes in a variety of sizes, from nano to large, and a wealth of colors and textures to fit any style.
- Prada Saffiano: This tote gets its name from the type of leather used in its construction. The textured diagonal pattern, which is extremely resistant to scratching, is made with a machine and has a wax finish that enhances its durability.
When you’re looking for designer handbags, it pays to check out the live online auction at AuctionKing.com. We bring our customers the best authenticated goods at the lowest possible prices, with bids starting as low as $1. Sign up for a free account today to start bidding.