The end of the year is full of gatherings, bringing us together with family and friends as we celebrate the holidays. Continue reading “Accessorize Your Holiday Outfit with Jewelry from Auction King”
When people think of fine art, they often call to mind the names of masters of the past like Van Gogh, Monet, or da Vinci. Continue reading “The Hottest Contemporary Art up for Grabs”
In the world of jewelry, it’s not uncommon to see particular gemstones go through fads of popularity. This is particularly true for stones that might not be as well-known as diamonds or the big three (emeralds, sapphires, and rubies). Continue reading “Why Is Morganite so Popular?”
A designer handbag is a joy to own and use, and one that is well-maintained can be expected to retain its value for years. Some rare and sought-after bags may even increase in value, if they’re in top condition. If you’ve splurged on a high-end bag or received one as a gift, you’ll want to make sure it stays looking its best so you can enjoy it for a long time. Here are some critical tips for maintaining your bag properly:
Think prevention, not cure
Sure, there are ways to repair damage to the interior or exterior of your bag after its been done, but it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to restore it to a like-new appearance after it has been scuffed or stained. Be mindful of how you use your bag by:
- Taking care of where you set or swing it. Don’t put your designer bag on the floor or knock it into corners or doorframes when you’re out and about.
- Keeping any contents that might leak or spill in separate, preferably waterproof, pouches inside your purse. Pens and makeup are notorious for leaking and spilling inside of purses, and ink and lipstick stains can be almost impossible to remove.
- Keeping your load reasonable. Stuffing your purse full of heavy objects can stretch the bag out of shape and weaken handles and stitching.
- Rotating your bag. Using the same handbag week after week without a break will inevitably result in visible wear and tear.
Apply some regular TLC
The ongoing care your bag will require to keep its materials looking good depends on what your bag is made out of. For example, leather should be regularly treated with a leather balm or cream to keep it from drying out and cracking. However, products intended for smooth leather should never be used on suede, and fabric requires a different care routine altogether. If your bag comes with care instructions, be sure to read and follow them. In all cases, if your bag suffers a serious stain, you’re best off taking it to a professional to treat rather than trying a DIY tip that might cause further damage.
Store your bag correctly
How you put your designer bag away when you’re not using it is critical to keeping it in good shape. Proper storage includes:
- Always putting your handbag inside a fabric dust bag to protect it from dust and dirt. Most high-end bags will come with a breathable bag for storage, but if you received your bag without one, a cotton pillowcase will do just as well. Never store your handbags in a plastic bag, because these can retain and concentrate damaging moisture.
- Cleaning your bag before you put it away. Dust off the exterior with a microfiber cloth and use a lint roller to remove any debris from the bag’s interior.
- Stuffing your bag with acid-free paper or bubble wrap to maintain its shape in storage. Do not use newspaper, which can leave ink stains on the lining of your purse.
- Storing bags upright on a shelf, rather than stacked on top of one another on the floor.
When you’ve invested in a high-end handbag, putting some thought into how you care for it is worth the effort to maintain its value and appearance. At AuctionKing.com, we offer authenticated designer handbags for auction at a fraction of their retail price, giving bidders around the world an opportunity to own high-end merchandise for unthinkable bargains. Our stock regularly includes favorites from Fendi, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Chloe, Prada, and more. Register for a free online account today to start bidding and start winning!