The online revolution is affecting the way we all do business, and the art world is no exception. Collectors are finding increasing opportunities for buying art online as galleries and auction houses realize that their buyers want to have the option of purchasing without having to turn up in person. Here are the top five reasons to buy fine art from an online auction:
- Accessibility – Going to a physical space such as a gallery to view art can be both time-consuming and limiting. Depending on your location, it may even be impossible to get to a dealer who stocks the type of artwork you’re interested in. Online auctions give you the ability to view and bid on artworks that may be located in another county, state, or time zone, rather than being confined to only what can be found in your area.
- Transparency – Galleries have been known to restrict the number of works available from artists and to hide information about the value of those works, making it difficult for art collectors to accurately assess the market. Browsing online auctions gives you the chance to compare and research, ultimately allowing you to make better-informed decisions.
- Variety – When art dealers have to maintain physical space to display the artworks they have for sale, they have to make choices about what they’ll offer. Some will concentrate on particular artists, styles, or time periods, which leads to a narrower selection. Online auctions don’t have that constraint, and thus can offer a wider range of pieces to choose from.
- Excitement! – When you buy at auction, the process itself is part of the appeal, from determining the items you’ll pursue, deciding on your bidding strategy, and monitoring the action. The thrill is heightened in a live auction, where you are bidding in real time against other collectors, all intent on winning the same item. When you do win, you not only have an artwork to treasure, but you’ll also have a story to tell.
- Savings – While the media likes to talk up stories of famous artworks fetching jaw-dropping prices at auction, the reality is that most of the time, buying fine art at auction can save you money. Depending on why or by whom the art is being sold, it may be offered with no reserve price (the minimum amount a seller will accept) because the seller is eager to get whatever price they can. In addition, online auctions do not have to support the expense of maintaining a gallery space or similar physical location, which can drive up the fees that a dealer adds to the cost of every artwork they sell. An auction can be a great opportunity to get a stunning piece of art at far less than you would have imagined.
Auction King stocks an array of authenticated originals, prints, lithographs, etchings, and more. We’re constantly on the lookout for new high-quality pieces for our customers. Our secure proprietary bidding platform gives you the convenience of online bidding with confidentiality and confidence. Register for a free online account today to get started.